Monday, September 17, 2007

"Miller"
1997 - 2007




In 1997, Paige and I drove to Cleveland, Tennessee to get a dog. I remember the first time I saw him running around this house with his four sisters. Kinda scruffy, all black except for a little white under the chin. He was the one.

Over 10 great years, the black puppy turned grey all over. During those years, he whined alot, and required the disposal of two couches before I learned to reupholster the furniture he wore through. ( It will be hard to finish reupping the chair he liked most for the second time.) If you visited my home I am sure he barked at you and jumped up on you, and if you were lucky, you might have seen him become a machine gun or a wizard. He was there every day at the window when I came home, and almost every night when closing up the house I would say "Ready Miller? Let's go to bed."

In the last few weeks, Charlie has been walking (a skill he seems to think is mainly good for finding his mom and stalking Miller), and Miller spent the better part of the day running away from this little boy who was becoming more enamoured with him. I am glad Charlie knew and loved Miller.

There is no way to recap my life with Miller, but over time he became a part of me. And last Friday, we came home to find him lying peacefully in the back yard, never to get up again.

I always thought it wouldn't be such a huge deal for me when he died. I thought, "Well, when he is gone, we will get another dog." How did I not get it? Even I knew my affection for that dog bordered on the nuttier side of dog lovers. But now, I don't want another dog. I want MY dog!

...and I want this stubborn and slightly humiliating heartache to end.

Paige and Mabel and I all miss him greatly. And when I let Mabel out these past few days (has it only been a few days?) she pauses, uncharacteristically, at the top of our back steps. I think she is looking, wondering why Miller is not there.

Me too, Mabel. Me, too.

We loved that dog and we are thankful for 10 great years....











7 comments:

Jacob said...

It is certainly the end of an era (or at least the initial sign "the era of our dogs" is coming to an end). In a strange way I miss knowing that Miller is there with you guys. At least while we lived apart, I knew that there were some things that I could count on and envision in your day-to-day lives - Miller was certainly a part of that.

I actually dug around my old pics tonight trying to see if I couldn't come up with a photo or two of Miller to post a little In Memoriam. Unfortunately I came up empty, but it was wonderful looking at pictures of our past Thanksgivings and such together when I had more hair and we swapped stories of upholstering and dogs.

I miss Miller for you and I feel that deep ache knowing that in the not-too-distant future I'll be writing something similar about Zooey. I'm glad there are even more incredible creatures that are a part of our lives now, but it has been a wonderful decade of canines.

Well done Miller.

Anonymous said...

I'm saddened to hear this news.

Miller is truly the embodiment of "Man's Best Friend", and an important part in the life of your home. His personality, endearing. I'm so sorry.

Stacy

Anonymous said...

Nat and Paige, we love you so much and feel saddened with you. Take comfort in knowing that he was very loved by all of you and he had a wonderful life. Carolyn & David (Mom and Dad)

Mike Stavlund said...

I'm so sorry, Nat. That was one good dog. I'm glad he was so healthy, and so celebrated in his life.

Goodbye, Miller.

amalkus said...

I will also miss him and his round pinkish-whitish-greyish belly. Few dogs possessed a belly of such character. Thank God for dogs, seriously.

modernpupil said...

From all the years of visiting the Malkus household, always being greeted with a shrill bark and a wine quite like that of a young hound, it was defintely a warm welcoming. Now its going to hard walking through those familiar doors without seeing the face of that merry ol' bearded saint. P,N & C, I'm terribly sorry for the lose but at the same time I'm glad you all have the memories to remember forever.

With love and patience,
Scotty(a.k.a. Doofus)

Emily said...

Thanks for posting this, Nat. I wish I had gotten to know Miller better. My prayers are with you all, and Mabel.

Emily